Earlier known as Chandan Talao, it was rebuilt in the 18th century with stone banks and masonary. It is now used for boating and is a splendid sight specially on moonlit nights. The lake remains full of water normally all throughout the year. However, its beauty gets multiplied during the rainy season, as it gets full up to the brink. There are underground gates to empty out this lake in case of the danger of it's overflowing. These gates lead the water to the Vishwamitri River that is flowing through the city of Vadodara.
The special lighting's are done on Saturdays and Sundays in the evening around the lake between 8pm to 10pm. There is a wall of concrete constructed all around the lake, where the people can sit and enjoy the evenings. Recently, Vadodara Municipal Corporation has constructed a large statue of Lord Shiva in the middle of this lake. This Lord Shiva statue is in standing posture and is 120 feet tall.
Photograph of an elephant with a golden ambari at Baroda, Gujarat from the Curzon Collection, taken by an unknown photographer during the 1890s. The elephant was one of about 55 state elephants owned by the Gaekwar Sayaji Rao III (ruled 1875-1939), 12th Maharaja of Baroda. They were used in ceremonial processions and were granted to high officials as a mark of royal favour. In this side view, the elephant is caparisoned in cloth of gold and bears on its back the ambari, a throne or state howdah made of gold which only the largest and strongest elephants could support.
Kala Ghoda Bridge
The Vishwamitri river is a seasonal river which flows east to west between the Mahi and Narmada rivers in Gujarat, India. It originates in the hills of Pavagadh.
The Vishwamitri flows west through the city of Vadodara and joins with the Dhadhar River and Khanpur River and empties into the Gulf of Khambhat, near Khanpur village. This river system includes the Sayaji Sarovar on the Vishwamitri River near Ajwa, and the Dev Dam on the Dhadhar Branch. As it flows through Vadodara, the Vishwamitri River is subjected to the drainage of the city's sewage and effluents from nearby industries. A study conducted in 2002 by the Crocodile Specialist Group has shown that in spite of these pollutants, the 25 kilometre stretch of the river which passes through Vadodara is the home to 100 mugger crocodiles .
Vadodara Municipal Corporation (VMC) plans to establish a body for the development of Vishwamitri river on the lines of the Sabarmati Riverfront Development. It might take a long time, may be even 20 to 25 years, to develop a riverfront .
A beautiful palace designed in Italian style, the Makarpura palace is now used as training school of Indian Air Force.
Photograph of the Makarpura Palace, near Baroda, Gujarat from the Curzon Collection, taken by an unknown photographer during the 1890s. The palace was built by the Gaekwar Sayaji Rao III (ruled 1875-1939) between 1883-1890 and designed by Robert Fellowes Chisholm (1840-1915) in an Italian Renaissance style. It lies to the south of Baroda and was used as a country residence. This view shows the front façade, consisting of two three-storey wings arcaded with semi-circular arches, linked by a central arcade and tower. The palace is surrounded by English-style formal gardens, shown in the foreground.
Band Stand, Kamati Baug
Sayaji Baug, also known as Kamati Baug is situated on river Vishwamitri. It was built by SayajiRoa III in 1879 A.D. and covers an extensive area of 113 acres. It contains an excellent Zoo, Museum and Picture Gallery, a Small Museum of Health and Hygiene. Band Stand is the finest part of the park with green carpet of lawns interspersed by paths Greeco Roman and other sculptures placed on pedestals at intervals. The park with fountains, lawns and trees is a beautiful corner of Vadodara. It is well looked after by the Municipal Corporation and further added its beauty by installing a floral clock and a fine building for a planetarium. This park has become a recreation centre and a fine beauty spot in Vadodara.
Photograph of the Kala Bhavan or Technical Institute at Baroda, Gujarat from the Curzon Collection, taken by an unknown photographer during the 1890s. The institute was founded in 1890 and taught classes in drawing, carpentry, dyeing and mechanical engineering. The original building, shown in this view, was built in a neo-classical style and furnished with a library, laboratories and work-shops. A new building was subsequently built in 1922, designed by A.H. Coyle in an Indo-Saracenic style. This followed a tradition established by the architects Charles Mant and Robert Fellowes Chisholm who worked in the city in the late 19th century.
Vadodara formerly Baroda is the third most-populated city in the Indian state of Gujarat after Ahmedabad and Surat. It is one of four cities in the state with a population of over 1 million. It is also known as the Sayaji Nagari (Sayaji's City after its famous ruler, Maharaja Sayajirao Gaekwad III) or Sanskari Nagari (The City of Culture, a reference to its status as the Cultural Capital of Gujarat). Vadodara or Baroda, formerly the capital city of the Gaekwar State, is situated on the banks of the Vishwamitri, a river whose name derived from the great saint Rishi Vishwamitra. It is located southeast of Ahmedabad, 139 km from state capital, Gandhinagar. It is the administrative headquarters of Vadodara District.