Approach : Vadodara is 112 km from Ahmedabad, 420 km from Mumbai, 320 km from Bhavnagar, 563 km from Dwarka, 428 km from Junagadh, 330 km from Palitana, 507 km from Porbandar, 329 km from Rajkot, 517 km from Somnath, 151 km from Surat 509 km from Bhopal, 1,101 km from Hyderabad, 744 km from Jaipur, 1,005 km from Delhi and 1,965 km from Calcutta.
Air : Various domestic airlines connect Vadodara with Ahmedabad, Delhi, Mumbai, Daman and Pune.
Rail : Vadodara is on Western Railways' Mumbai, Delhi and Ahmedabad line.
Road : State transport buses and private luxury coaches connects various centres of Gujarat, Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh, Delhi and Rajasthan.
Park , Zoos & Sanctuaries
Sayaji Bagh :-This extensive park is encircled by a mini railway and is a popular spot for an evening stroll. Within the park grounds there is a planetarium, where demonstrations are given each evening and there is also a small zoo.
Tourism Corporation of Gujarat Limited, Narmada Bhavan, C-block, Indira Avenue, Vadodara-390001. Tel :- (265)-427489, 431297.
Around the City
Bharuch :- It is situated 70 km from Vadodara. Bharuch is an ancient town with a 200 year history. On a hilltop is a fort which overlooks the river Narmada.
Dhumkal :- At Dhumkal Sloth Bear sanctuary is located which also houses the tiger and leopard.
Champaner :- This city, 47 km north-east of Vadodara, was taken by Sultan Mahmud Begara in 1484, and he renamed it Muhammadabad. The Jama Masjid here is one of the finest mosques in Gujarat and is similar in style to Jama Masjid of Ahmedabad. The Hill of Pavagadh, with it's ruined fort, rises beside Champaner. According to Hindu legend, the hill is actually a chunk of the Himalayan mountainside which the god Hanuman carted off to Lanka in an episode of the Ramayana, hence the name Pavagadh, which means Quarter of a Hill.
Narayan Sarovar Chinkara Sanctuary :- It is located in the Kutch district at a distance of 2 km from Narayan Sarovar, 210 km from Bhuj, 120 km from Lakhpat, 150 km from Dholavira and 80 km from Mandvi Kutch. Bhuj is the nearest airport and railway station from the sanctuary. The sanctuary is known for Chinkara or the Indian gazelle, blue bull, spotted deer, wildboar and rich variety of small wildlife. For assistance contact, Deputy Conservator of Forests, Kutch West Division, Fateh Mohammed Khorda, Bhuj, or Conservator of Forests, Kutch, Yogeshwar Ghanshyamnagar, Bhuj. Tel :- (02332)-50600. For accommodation two guest houses at Narayan Sarovar are available and within 75 km is Malir Garden Camp Resort - Nakhtarana. Tel :- (028352)-83344.
Navratri Dance Festival is celebrated in the month of October for 9 nights. It is quite popular throughout Gujarat and a potential tourist attraction. Colourful Garba and Dandia Ras folk dances are performed during this festival. It ends with Dusshera when an effigy of Ravana is burnt to commemorate the victory of Lord Rama. Gokulashtami, the birthday of Lord Krishna is also a very popular festival of the state and is best witnessed at Dwarka and Dakore.
Photograph of the Anglo-Vernacular School at Baroda, Gujarat from the Curzon Collection, taken by an unknown photographer during the 1890s. The Department of Public Instruction was opened in 1875 and a policy of free, compulsory education for both sexes and all castes was pursued by the state government with the encouragement of the Gaekwar Maharaja Sayaji Rao III (ruled 1875-1939). At the primary level of education were Anglo-vernacular schools, which taught up to four standards and prepared students for entry to High Schools, and Vernacular schools, which taught in Gujarati, Marathi or Urdu. This view of the school shows a brick building with a long façade and tower built in an Anglo-Indian style.
Photograph of a zenana school at Baroda, Gujarat from the Curzon Collection, taken by an unknown photographer during the 1890s. The Department of Public Instruction was opened in 1875 and a policy of free, compulsory education for both sexes and all castes was pursued by the state government with the encouragement of the Gaekwar Maharaja Sayaji Rao III (ruled 1875-1939). The Gaekwar particularly valued the education of women and in 1885 published a memorandum on the subject. A girls’ schools was opened in Baroda in 1875, and by 1880 there were eight throughout the state. In addition a training college for women teachers was opened in 1882. Zenana classes were attended by grown-up women who were taught reading, writing, arithmetic and needlework. This view of the school shows a brick building built in an Anglo-Indian style.
The central jail at present has 2,268 inmates of which 214 are females. The jail has 32 kids all below the age of six who live with either their mothers or relatives inside the mahila vibhaag’. The jail authorities have also started a medical camp for the inmates and families of the jail officials. The inmates, jail officials and their families will undergo complete health check up during the camp that is being organised with the help of city’s top hospitals. The health check up includes cardio, skin diseases, kidney-related problems and others.
Baroda State Library
Photograph of the State Library at Baroda, Gujarat from the Curzon Collection, taken by an unknown photographer during the 1890s. The library was built in 1876 and designed by Major Charles Mant (1840-81) in the Indo-Saracenic style. He was a pioneer of the style and used it in his designs for other civic and state buildings in Baroda such as the Countess of Dufferin hospital and his masterpiece, the Lakshmi Vilas Palace. The library is one of the public offices contained within the Juni Kothi or old fort. It predates the Baroda Library movement initiated in c.1910 by the Gaekwar Maharaja Sayaji Rao III (ruled 1875-1939), which founded the Central Library, a system of state-aided libraries, reading rooms, travelling libraries and the first library school in India.
Vadodara Museum & Art Gallery
It is located within the Sayaji Bagh and remains open from 9.30 am to 4.45 pm daily, except Saturday when it opens at 10 am. The museum has various exhibits, while the art gallery has Mughal miniatures and a collection of European masters.
Founded by the Gaekwads in 1894 AD, the museum has an impressive collection on art and archaeology, natural history, geology and ethnology. The Vadodara Museum and it's twin, the Picture Gallery are indeed the most rewarding destination for visitors with an iota of curiosity. The museum houses a prized collection acquired in India and abroad by Maharaja Sayajirao III.
The Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda, commonly referred as M. S. University (MSU) is one of the premier universities of India located in the city of Vadodara, (Baroda) in Gujarat state. Originally known as the Baroda College of Science (established 1881), it became a university in 1949 after the independence of the country and later renamed after Maharaja Sayajirao Gaekwad III, the former ruler of Baroda. It is a teaching and residential university. It is the only university in Gujarat whose medium of instruction is English for all its courses.